Sunday, April 15, 2012

We Run Lima

I'd like to tell you all a wonderful story...

Pre-story:

For the past 6 months Tammy and I have been exercising. This is a big deal for several reasons: 1. We go at 6 am Monday-Friday. 2. We've progressed a whole stinking lot since we started in October. 3. The accountability between us keeps us both going because neither of us would do this sola.  BUT we're going to complete 10 laps this Thursday/Friday, which is meeting our goal. So whoop whoop!

Story:
In October or November Nike hosted a 10K called "We Run Lima".  At that time I could walk up 250 stairs at a decent pace, but that was it. Needless to say, I did not participate in this event.  BUT I SHOULD HAVE! They gave away the most awesome T-shirts. They're orange Nike Dry Fit shirts & say "We Run Lima", and just pure awesomeness that I have had to see people wear every stinkin' day since then!  I've said atleast 15 kazillion times "I WANT THAT SHIRT!!"  So Tammy and I crafted a plan to get one.

We always said that we were going to take 20 US dollars and another T-shirt to the beach in the morning and offer to buy/trade shirts with some random person. Sounds like a golden plan doesn't it?! Yeah it does!

Well, 6 months later, I still had no shirt. Time is running out!  They had us a going away party last Wednesday, and Tammy and Tony started it with a gift for each of us.  I was totes not expecting a We Run Lima shirt, but that's totes what I got!



Tammy and Tony went to Wong that afternoon and when they came back, Tammy saw a man with that shirt. I believe her exact words were "Tony! That's Gerica's shirt! Go get it!!" And he did.  He walked up to this guy, who just happened to be a lawyer, and began to talk to him about his shirt. Then he asked if he could have it, and the lawyer man looked real confused.  Then Tony offered him $20 dollars and another T-shirt, and he agreed. He walked with them to their apartment and changed shirts and collected his money! *Side note: He had tattoos and muscles. And my shirt still smells like him after 2 washings!* 

My friend Patty's mom said this was all for love. My love for the shirt. Tammy's love for me. Tony's love for Tammy. And the lawyer's love for some money!

Moral of the story: Take chances. Or at least make friends who take chances! You may get an awesome shirt and a cool story!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment